Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Madrid (squee!)

Statues at the entrance to the Museo Nacional de Arqueologia. My home away from home. I used to go every Sunday when I lived here, but because I felt compelled to read every single sign and label, I never got past the Greeks. This time I skipped straight to the Visigoths and medieval period, but still didn't have time for the Islamic period (which is still weakly represented). Someday I shall burrow through their archives and in the Biblioteca Nacional (which is housed in the same enormous building).


So Madrid happens to have a genuine Egyptian temple. Back in the...70s? this temple was threatened by a propsed dam. Rather than let it be drowned by the reservior, UNESCO got together with a bunch of countries and dismantled it, stone by stone. The Egyptian government decided to gift it to Spain, for being so damn cool (and, I think, to snub the French and British). Now it is reassembled in a park near the royal palace.


As close as I'm going to get to Egypt any time soon!


Typical building.


Las tres profesoras! My mom and her two travelling friends, some truly righteous women and my role models.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home